If your store sells certain items, you may need to ask users to verify their age or other information before entering your site.
To do this, you can use your theme's built-in popup feature.
Please note that Out of the Sandbox does not guarantee that this feature will comply with any regulations or laws that your site is subject to. We always recommend consulting a licensed attorney to ensure you are in compliance.
To activate this, head into Online Store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings > Popup.
Here are the recommended settings for verification popups in Turbo. Please note that not all versions have all of the fields listed, but this list should give you an idea of how to configure the popup.
- Enable popup: Checked (this is required)
- Show close icon: Unchecked
- Show popup on mobile: Checked
- Show sign up form: Unchecked
- Display first name: Unchecked
- Display last name: Unchecked
- Image: Upload an image if you'd like
- Image position: Select the position you'd like
- Title: "Age Verification" or something similar
- Text: A sentence or paragraph explaining that verification is required
- Text alignment: Select the alignment you'd like
- First button label: "Under 21" or something similar (this is for the users who should not be given access to your site)
- First button link: Any other site you'd like to use (a popular option is to direct these users to http://www.google.com)
- Highlight first button: Unchecked
- Second button label: "21+ (enter)" or something similar
- Second button link: Leave this field empty
- Highlight second button: Checked
- Popup delay: 0sec
- Days until popup is displayed again: 30 days
It's important to note that we do not recommend including a newsletter form in the verification popup as this could be confusing to users and also could result in ineligible users receiving marketing emails from you.
If you would like to add an age verification popup to another theme, you can use a similar approach by heading into Online Store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings tab > Popup and using these general guidelines:
- Verify with a licensed attorney if your popup will comply with all laws and regulations (this is especially important if you are not able to include a button for the user to click)
- Be sure to set the popup to be displayed on mobile so that all visitors are subject to seeing the verification
- Because not all themes and versions allow buttons in the popup, you may need to use the text field to explain that by continuing to use your site, the user is verifying his or her age (as opposed to clicking a button)
- We recommend turning off the "show newsletter form" option