Our Theme Updater App includes the ability to register your theme purchase for Out of the Sandbox themes.
Benefits of Registration
There are three key benefits to registering your theme:
- Access to the latest release of your Out of the Sandbox theme(s)
- Theme support via the Out of the Sandbox Help Center
- Connected store and Shopify theme license (why this is important)
How to Register
Registration is handled via our theme updater app, so if you do not have the app, install the Shopify Theme Updater App on your store. Despite the name of the app, you are not required to update your theme to complete registration.
Open the Theme Updater App in the Apps dashboard.
Locate your theme with the "Unregistered" label, then click Register to begin.
A modal window will open with two fields. Complete the Customer Email Address and Store Address fields with your store's information.
The Customer Email Address must be the same as the email used to purchase the theme and the store URL also needs to be the address with which the theme was initially purchased.
Click Register. Once your email has been validated and registered successfully, your theme will have a "Registered" label added.
Per our terms and conditions, if you close your original store and open a new one, you may use your theme on the new store as long as you are still the owner and the theme is deleted completely from your closed store.
Resolve Common Licensing Issues
The process for transferring licenses is different depending on where you purchased the theme originally.
Transfer license (Theme Store purchases)
To have the theme license transferred to your new store, contact Shopify Support.
To complete this transfer, Shopify often refunds the original purchase price to cover the cost of the new theme license. If there is a difference between the original price and the current Theme Store price, this would need to be addressed by the merchant.
Transfer license (Out of the Sandbox website purchases)
If you transferred your theme from one store to another, you will need to contact us to manually have your license transferred and provide the following details:
- Your current store address
- The former store address (note that this store must be a completely inactive Shopify account for us to transfer your license)
- Your full name and a statement that you own both stores
- An order number, receipt, or invoice showing your original theme purchase
- A brief description of the situation
If your theme was purchased by a developer or designer on your behalf, the theme may be registered under the developer's details. You should first reach out to the developer, if possible, to see what email address was used to make the purchase on your behalf.
If this is not possible, you will need to contact us with the following details:
- The email address used to purchase the theme (you may need to check with the developer or designer for this). It's also possible the agency or designer registered it under one of your email addresses on behalf of you.
- A copy of the invoice or receipt for the theme purchase (again, you may need to contact the designer or agency).
- If our system records show the theme is registered to another store, then your theme may be unlicensed and you may need to purchase a new license and work with the original agency or developer to get a refund on the theme license cost.
- If your theme is appearing as unregistered but you have a copy of your invoice or other evidence that you have purchased a valid license, please contact us with the appropriate information and evidence for review.
- If your theme is appearing as unregistered and you cannot provide a record of your original purchase, you may not have purchased a valid license for your theme. In this case, you will need to purchase a valid license from our website.
- It's important to note that a single theme purchase is valid for registration in a single shop. For example, if two Turbo themes have been purchased by the same customer, then they will be able to register Turbo in two separate shops.
- Theme registrations cannot be transferred between shops automatically. You will need to contact us with evidence of a license purchase to have this done. Please allow 1-2 business days for a reply.
- Your store will not be shut down or closed if your theme is unregistered as long as you continue to pay Shopify's monthly fees. However, you will not be able to update your theme or receive support from Out of the Sandbox and your store, if it continues using an unregistered, unlicensed theme, may be subject to a takedown under Shopify's DMCA policy.
- It doesn't matter which style preset you have purchased, it's considered the same theme, so you do not need to purchase more than one license to switch between styles.
- If your registration cannot be found during the registration process, you will be prompted to purchase a license for your shop.
- If you have multiple copies of the same theme in your shop, you only need to register it once. For example, a theme registration is specific to the customer email and shop URL — not the specific instance of the theme.
Receive an 'unregistered theme' notice?
If you received an email indicating you may be using an unregistered Shopify theme. Please review the following points:
- This email does not necessarily mean your theme is unregistered or unlicensed. Instead, it's just our attempt to make sure you're using a registered theme and help you get it registered so you can continue to take advantage of all the benefits.
- Also, please be aware that "unregistered" themes are not necessarily "illegal" or unlicensed. This simply means they have not been registered in our Theme Updater App.
- If you purchased your theme directly from the Shopify theme store, the Out of the Sandbox website, or the Pixel Union website, you can install our Shopify Theme Updater App and register your theme.
- Please note that installing the app and registering your theme does not require you to update it at the same time, but does ensure you will be able to continue to receive support and updates from Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union. The app also does not affect your store in any way unless you chose to update your theme, in which case it creates an unpublished copy of the new theme for you to test.
- If you paid a developer or agency to create your site, you may need to check with them for the original purchase information.
- Please be aware that, unfortunately, some developers sell unlicensed copies of our themes. If this is the case, you will not be able to register your theme and you will need to purchase a new license.
- Unfortunately, Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union cannot refund you for the cost of the theme you paid a third-party developer who did not properly purchase a unique license for your store. You should contact the original developer to request a refund if you need to purchase a valid license.
- Stores using unlicensed themes may be subject to takedown under Shopify's DMCA policy.
- Please note, too, that per our terms and conditions, unregistered themes may not be eligible for support.