To set up your email marketing provider with one of our themes, it is recommended to install an app. However, you can follow these steps if your email marketing provider does not have a Shopify app or if you prefer to bypass Shopify completely when handling email signups.
In some cases, you may need to use the embeddable form code provided by your email marketing provider.
To add a custom email signup form, follow these steps:
- First, open the theme's template files to access the code.
- Next, locate the "Snippets" folder and click it to expand it.
- Locate the "newsletter.liquid" file and click it to open it.
- In the larger editor panel, remove all of the code except the first and last lines and replace it with the code provided by your email marketing provider.
- This update will update the newsletter form in the footer and the popup of your site at the same time.
- If you are using a newsletter section on your homepage, you will need to update the "newsletter.liquid" file in the "Sections" folder as well.
To get the necessary code, check with your email marketing provider or use one of the tutorials here:
- MailChimp (note you may need to make a small change as outlined here)
- Campaign Monitor
- Mad Mimi
- Get Response
A few important things to note:
- Updating this code will change it in both the footer of your store and the newsletter popup, if enabled.
- It's not possible, at this time, to change the theme editor's control panels to allow you to update your custom email marketing provider settings. Instead, you will need to edit newsletter.liquid, as described above, to make any changes.
- You may need to add custom CSS to style your forms to get them to look right. In some cases, you may have issues with the "submit" button not appearing. If that's the case, try this solution that is known to work with MailChimp or contact your email marketing provider's support.
- We typically recommend using the "naked" or raw HTML version of the form code, if available, from your email marketing provider for best results. Contact your email provider for more details on if this option is available or how to get a copy of it.
- Depending on your provider and the code used, you may or may not be able to provide inline confirmation messages or error messages. For more on if this is possible with your email provider, please contact the provider's support team.
If you're still unable to get your form to work properly, you may need to consider another email marketing provider or simply link to the signup page hosted by your provider rather than embedding the sign up form on your site.
Any other integrations are considered customizations and, if you're having problems setting them up, you may need to work with an expert who can modify your code.