**NOTE: For the homepage breakdown of Retina 4.0 + (with Sections) please see here.
Here's where we're going to breakdown the homepage and show how you can enable the various new features of the Retina Home Page. To customize your theme, you'll go to Sales Channels > Online Store > Themes > Customize Theme, the areas where you make the changes can vary, but don't worry, we'll go over them.
1 + 2. The Header; the header contains your logo, or business name, along with the menu, social media icons, search, currency converter, and cart. To add/change your logo, choose the menu used in the header, or to enable/disable search, you can go to Sales Channels > Online Store > Themes and then the Customize Theme button to the Header tab:
3. The slideshow. Under the 'Home page - slideshow tab you can select the image(s) you'd like to display here, as well as any headings, sub-headings, or buttons that you'd like to include on each slide.
4. Here is the first of the Content Page selections under the "Home page - featured content" section of your theme settings. When you select a page from the drop down, it will pull the content of that page and display it on your home page. You can display up to 3 different content page sections on your homepage.
5. One of the most popular features; this is the 'Featured Promotions' section. The settings for the featured promotions can be found under the 'Home page - featured promotions' tab. In these settings you'll be able to choose the hover animation, as well as the images, title, and link.
6. Next is a featured collection. You'll find these settings under the 'Home page - collection in grid' tab. Here you can choose up to two collections to feature, as well as the number of products per row that you would like to be displayed.
Not currently shown in the above example, the 'Home page - collection in detail' tab will let you choose a collection to feature products in more detail. An example of this can be seen in the Retina — Melbourne (retina-theme-melbourne.myshopify.com) demo shop:
7. The second Content Page section, much like the first content page, this page can be selected under the "Home page - featured content" section of your theme settings. When you select a page from the drop down, it will pull the content of that page and display it on your home page. You can display up to 3 different content page sections on your homepage.
8. This is where your blog can be featured! The settings to choose your blog, and how many posts you would like to display, can be found under the ‘Home page - featured blog’ tab.
9. Next is the twitter timeline. These settings will be under the ‘Home page - Twitter’ tab; here you can enable or disable the timeline, enter your twitter username (without the ‘@‘), and choose how many tweets you would like to display. The ‘twitter theme’ option will let you switch between ‘Light’ and ‘Dark’, this will alternate the text colours, ‘Light’ can be used when you have a lighter page background and that will keep the text darker, or ‘Dark’ can be selected when you have a darker background and that will lighten up the text to make it easier to read.
10. Up next is the Instagram section. Under ‘Home page - Instagram’ you can fill in your Instagram Access Token, which can be generated here: https://outofthesandbox.com/pages/instagram-access-token That access token will connect your instagram account and allow your shop to display your content. There are also options to give that section a different title (the default is “Instagram”), and choose the number of images/videos displayed.
11 The footer! It has it’s very own tab in your theme settings called ‘Footer’. Here you’ll have a place to input your MailChimp action url to collection emails from your customers (instructions for MailChimp here: https://help.outofthesandbox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006909467-Setting-up-MailChimp). There are two menu options, and a content page that will show up in that order (‘Menu 1’, ‘Menu 2’, ‘Content page’, and then the newsletter signup). The last options there are for any additional copyright text, that will show up in the credit line, the ’Show theme designer credits’ will toggle the ‘Designed by Out of the Sandbox.’ line, and ’Show payment method icons’ will toggle the payment method icons available for your shop.
Looking for an overview of the new home page settings layout? You can check it out here, https://help.outofthesandbox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007100148-Pre-Section-themes-Home-page-section-organizer!