To add the Facebook Pixel, you first should locate your Facebook Pixel ID, which is a series of numbers. You can find your current pixel ID or create one here.
Next, follow these steps from Shopify about how to install the Facebook Pixel in the backend. Shopify also has additional information, including how to remove old pixels, here.
There are some important notes:
- Turbo users should see this page for specific Facebook Pixel issues.
- In most cases when using more recent versions of our themes, except for Turbo Ludicrous mode, the AddToCart event should be tracked no matter what cart mode you are using.
- It is important to note, however, that some third party apps or customizations may interfere with the AddToCart event and Out of the Sandbox cannot support these issues.
- Also, note that, by default, the AddToCart event is not linked to a Facebook product catalog. For details on setting this up, click here. Out of the Sandbox cannot provide support for integrating with a Facebook product catalog.
- You should always test your Facebook Pixel integration using the Pixel Helper provided by Facebook.
- On all themes, tracking Facebook's InitiateCheckout, AddPaymentInfo and Purchase events are well supported (this may not apply to Shopify Plus customers who have customized the checkout pages).
- If you need to track when specific buttons or other elements on a page are clicked, or when features such as the mini cart, inline cart, popup cart or drawer cart are activated, you will need to use advanced event tracking. This requires more advanced programming knowledge and is not supported by Out of the Sandbox.
- When using Turbo in "Ludicrous" mode, tracking page loads with the Facebook Pixel and Google Analytics can be inconsistent due to the page preloading feature. Common issues include "double counting" of page views or page views not properly being recorded. To avoid this issue, you can disable the page preloading feature under Sales Channels > Online Store > Themes > Customize (indigo button) > Theme settings tab > Performance and switch to "Sport" mode.
Tracking the cart page
If tracking when users add an item to your cart is important for your marketing efforts and you have issues tracking the event, you should avoid using the popup, drawer, inline or mini cart option in favor of the "page" cart type.
- To set this option, head into Sales Channels > Online Store > Themes > Customize > Theme Settings tab > Cart).
- Then, create a custom audience using a URL pattern to place users who have visited URLs containing "cart" as the criteria. You can then use this audience to target your advertising.
- To avoid showing advertising to users who added an item to the cart but ultimately purchased, you can either exclude users with the "Purchase" event or create an additional custom audience with a URL pattern matching "thank_you" (the order confirmation page). When building your ad, set the your targeting to "include" the the first audience while excluding the second.
Informational Guide Only
This article is provided for informational purposes only and is not supported by Out of the Sandbox support. For further assistance with this, please contact third-party developer for assistance.