SEO strategies and setups vary greatly, we are unable to provide support for micro data, schema tag, meta tag, canonical tag or indexing problems. We offer a variety of SEO related resources listed here in this article, or you can hire a Shopify SEO expert for any SEO setup, issues, or troubleshooting.
Out of the Sandbox themes are designed to be optimized for best practices in search engine optimization (SEO). When combined with quality content, well written product descriptions, correct tagging and other strategies implemented by store owners, our themes are designed to be SEO friendly and compatible.
What's already included
All of Out of the Sandbox themes include the following SEO features:
- Rich snippets, Schema.org and microformats for products, articles and other content.
- Support for Product and Offer schemas so search engines properly interpret your products, their attributes, availability and pricing.
- Semantic, well structured HTML.
- Use of <h1> tags for page titles and product names, with the ability to use <h2>, <h3>, <h4>, <h5> and <h6> tags within product descriptions, blog posts and other content.
- Use of canonical tags to prevent duplicate content issues.
- Integration with OpenGraph for Facebook and Twitter Cards.
- Full support of Shopify's built-in SEO features, including title tags and meta description tags.
More on SEO
Because SEO is a complex and multifaceted topic, we've broken up a wide variety of SEO issues into separate articles, blog posts and third party links:
In general, creating an SEO friendly homepage centers around creating as much quality content on the homepage as possible.
Pay special attention to ensuring that your content clearly explains and contains words related to your products and industry in general. Featured content pages, or, on sections compatible themes, page or rich text and image sections, are ideal for including this type of content.
Other good homepage SEO strategies include developing well structured navigation in both the header and footer of your site to all the main areas of your site and including featured collections and products.
Other homepage SEO resources include:
- Set up the <title> and <meta> description tag on your homepage
- Setting <title> and <meta> description tags on other pages
- Setting up homepage collections
- How do I set up and define the <h1> tag on my homepage?
- Controlling the content and layout of your homepage
Product page SEO
On product pages, writing a quality product description is a key part of your SEO strategy. Other tactics include using related products to build links between product pages and ensuring your product images have proper "alt" tags:
- Setting up related products
- Setting up image alt tags
- Tips for writing SEO-optimized Shopify product descriptions for your Shopify theme
- Add an extended product description
SEO on other pages
- How to use advanced SEO tactics with your Shopify theme
- Search engine optimization strategies to use with your Shopify theme
Another key part of your SEO strategy should be content development and content marketing. Creating original, quality content is vital for showing search engines what your site is all about and that it is a quality, authoritative and well-maintained site.
- How to turn your passion into a content marketing plan for your Shopify store
- Using the blog feature in your Shopify theme: Dos and don'ts
SEO and site settings
- How much weight should you give Google's PageSpeed Insights?
- Improving your site speed
- Setting up a primary domain to prevent duplicate content
- Enabling SSL to improve SEO rankings
- About content delivery networks (CDNs)
- Blocking certain pages from search engines to prevent duplicate content
General SEO resources
- Shopify's SEO 101
- 10 Crucial SEO Tips for Ecommerce Entrepreneurs
- Why is my site not in Google?
- Search Engine Land's Guide To SEO
- Moz's Beginners Guide to SEO